Hi! I’m Stephanie Breedlove, Co-Founder of Care.com HomePay, Author and Angel Investor.
I absolutely adore taking an idea and giving it life in the form a business, then leading it to its full potential. Nothing is more fun. (Seriously!) I’d love for every woman who wants to start her own business to say the same thing, so here I am, mentoring millennial entrepreneurs. When I’m not working, I like to recharge and head outdoors to hike, bike, or stand up paddle board!
Is that list of business news and trending articles you’ve tagged still unread? I get it. Allow me to help. Take a couple minutes to read my summary of articles serving the most pertinent, actionable business topics. Or, take 10 minutes to read the full article, and put another brick on the foundation of your growing career.
This Week’s Must-Read:
Who it’s for:
Everyone. Healthy lives help us to be our best at all we do.
Why it’s important:
We all know in the back of our minds that we will feel better, will be more productive, will be closer to our best if we exercise and watch what we eat. Often easier said than done. Small changes that are easier to execute than major lifestyle changes can make a big difference.
This week’s article is filled with valuable advice and tips. Literally, tons of it. You are guaranteed to find a few tips that are the perfect fit for you. Here are a few of my favorites:
- Schedule wellness like you would meetings.
- Sit less!
- Spend time in nature each and every day. The abilities of nature to help and support the mind and body include: Improving performance on problem-solving tasks, decreasing blood pressure, increasing short-term memory and general attention skills.
- Take 10 minutes a day to shut out all the extra “noise.” We get bombarded by continual texts, emails, tweets, etc. Our minds, bodies and souls are not meant for this continued assault.
- Hydration. If we aren’t hydrated, our bodies will not function properly.
- Limit Your Screen Time. When you put your phone down or step away from the computer or TV, you will naturally be more active.
- Ask for Help. We can’t do everything ourself.
- Only exercise for fun. Think about the activities that you used to enjoy when you were younger and see if you can find ways to incorporate them now.
- Learn to say “no.” If something is not worth doing, say no.
- Eat real food. Real food doesn’t have ingredients, they are they ingredients.
- Do not look at your phone first thing in the morning.
- Go for progress over perfection.
- Make a dynamic work station. We all need to maximize productivity, and there are simple ways to be active while working. Alternating between a standing desk and a floor desk changes your work space to provide more opportunity for movement.
- Carry heavy things. When buying a few things, forego the cart and carry items in a basket.
- Get the same hours of sleep every night. It will be a game changer.
- Set small goals. Smaller goals allow you to more easily create healthy habits that you can stick to, and they give you reasons to celebrate regularly.
- Use food for nourishment and not for comfort.
- Digital detox for part of each day. Disconnecting every evening will help you to slow the pace of your day.
We all know we need forms of wellness in our lives, but it’s hard to make the time for them. They don’t have to be big or time-consuming to make a big difference in your ability to be your best.
A Few More Ways to Improve Your Problem-Solving Skills: